Sunday 3 March 2013

Well, that was awkward

Bear had a birthday party to attend.  He had chosen his outfit himself.  He was wearing a maroon shirt with a dark grey waistcoat and jeans and looked very charming - and he knew it.  At the last minute we decided to take his coat.  OH was dropping us off and picking us up, but if we had an unavoidable delay at the end then a coat would be useful.

We got dropped off at the soft play as planned, OH drove off and bear and I strolled in and I realised I didn't recognise any of the parents.  I looked again and checked the invite.  I had got the wrong date.  The party is next week.

Ooops.

So we were there in a not very nice area in the cold, and bear was not happy.  Thank goodness we had his coat!  I thought it wouldn't be a problem, I could call OH and he would pick us up, he wouldn't mind.  Except that my phone was out of battery.  I had a bit of a think.  We could perhaps look for a phone box.  They are as rare as hen's teeth these days, but they do exist and there was one right at the corner of the road.  Regrettably someone had got there first and ripped the insides out.  It wasn't a very nice area.

By this time bear was having a meltdown because he was cold.  And once he had seen a corner shop he was hungry as well.  I went in to see if they had a pay phone.  They didn't but they did point out that a taxi firm was just across the road and it was probably okay to call in.  So we got a taxi home with a very nice driver who took us the shortest way possible home.  I am suitably ashamed.

Bear is extremely unimpressed and insists he will be wearing the same outfit again next week.  I think he will also be double checking any further invitations himself as well.

1 comment:

Kitty Greene said...

ha ha, now that's what I call a senior moment WS ! that's gonna take a bit of living down !