Sunday 31 March 2013

We had the fennel

I had been a bit baffled by the fennel.  I had never cooked it before.  So of course I consulted the internet and so chopped it small and mixed it with carrot and parsnip and roasted it in the remoska and it was actually quite pleasant.  I was too late to get the mash done in time (adjusting to the time change) so we had chips from the chippy.

This was to go with a piece of pork.  I originally got a huge amount in for New Year's Day.  As the lamb wasn't delivered I decided to have this.  I am not confident in cooking pork, I am always so wary and careful.  As the gas pressure is so low I didn't dare risk the 2.4kg of pork in the gas oven and it just about fit into the electric mini oven.  However the mini oven runs on a timer, with a maximum of 60 minutes.  2.4kg of pork takes about 3 hours at Gas 5, 190C.  I spent this afternoon on pins irrationally worrying that I would miss the 'ping' of the mini oven and fail to set the thing off again.

I have quite a lot of pork today as I had a pork pie after visiting Kirkstall Abbey's deli market.  It was quite fun, but I didn't actually need much that I saw there.  I was quite pleased at resisting everything except the plastic gargoyle.  DF said it would be fine in the garden.

Now I just have to worry about what to do with the rest of the pork...

No comments: