Wednesday 20 March 2013

Not the best journey

I took bear to his piano lesson, much against his will.  He behaved very much below the standard I expect and absolutely slaughtered the top line of Ode to Joy.  If Beethoven was alive today he would turn in his grave.

I've reluctantly decided that it is actually less expensive for us to go to and from the lesson by taxi.  So I call up the taxi firm who send out their driver and off we go.

'Where to, love?' he asked.  I gave the address.  He looked blank.  I did what I could to give him landmarks.  He still looked blank.  I didn't know the postcode and I couldn't remember all the street names between us and our destination.  I started to give him directions.  'If you keep straight on here...'

Then I realised - the taxi driver was trying to put the road name into the satnav.  I am okay with that.  But not while you are driving along a very busy road six feet away from the back end of a bus.  I sort of froze.  Bear was quite indifferent and complaining about the seat belt, but I was trying not to count the near misses.  I think we got to within a foot of the back end of the bus at one point, but finally he managed to get the name right and the speed increased from about 15mph to around 30mph.  I have never been so glad to get out of a taxi in my life.

The driver back, with the same firm, was absolutely lovely.

So now all I need to do is try and enforce practice.  Hmmm.  Let's get the bribery racked up!

No comments: