Saturday 30 March 2013

More from the veg box

It is interesting how the veg box is steering the cooking choices.  We had a huge lettuce in the box, and it isn't really salad weather for us.  So I had already decided to cook it.  When I mentioned it to dh he suggested china chilo.  He loves that meal and and as I had the lamb mince in the freezer I agreed.

But I didn't have the spring onions in, and didn't bother with them.  I obviously didn't have fresh peas in, so dh brought in a bag of frozen peas.  Then we ended up cooking it on the gas hob as it really needs that length of simmering on the hob.  Fortunately the gas pressure is low so no risk of burning.

But dh loved it.  df loves it.  Bear really enjoyed picking out all the lamb, and managed a surprising amount.  And now evil cat is trying to steal it.

For those who haven't seen the recipe before (and I post it in all sorts of places) I can give you the 'some' version.

Brown some lamb mince (500g) in some butter (generous two tablespoons) and add some finely chopped spring onions/handful of fine chopped mushroom/cucumber, one pint of fresh peas (today it was about a pound of frozen peas) and then a very large or two normal finely shredded lettuce with no more water than sticks to the lettuce from washing.  Simmer gently for two hours.  Serve with rice.  It tastes amazing and is very little trouble.  I save it for a special dinner because it is expensive with the lamb mince and you have to get a lot of peas in the pod to get a generous pint of fresh peas.

It is also interesting that the lettuce was starting to rot.  I really need to be aware about using stuff up in the right order and in good time, if necessary freezing for later (there's risky for me!).  Tomorrow I need, need, need to use up the mushrooms.

No comments: