Tuesday 19 March 2013

Strawberry Tart Strikes Again

I've written before about the pale ginger and white lady cat that was mooching food, and I nicknamed her Strawberry as she was a strawberry blonde.  And that there had been a necessary parting of the ways after she tried to attack and destroy evil cat (who I am not actually sure noticed) as the resident competition.

She struck again today.  OH had come in after a long day and was chatting to me as I was coughing in the kitchen.  The next thing we knew was a ginger and white shape hurtling down the steps and racing towards evil cat's dinner dish!  She was absolutely determined, she knew where the kitekat was and she was letting nothing stand in her way.

I was reluctant to pick her up directly for a number of reasons.  I am not used to actually picking up cats.  Back in the days when I had three robust and turbulent cats I was expert at the pick and drop.  These days, however, evil cat is far too frail to pick up without a lot of caution and care so I am out of practice.  I was also not so keen on picking up a strange cat who has a violent track record (she has nailed OH in the past) half way through the theft of food.  Finally I am still feeling v weak and frail, my cough is very bad and I am having a tough time and Strawberry is a big cat.  In local terms she would be considered a big lass with something to grab hold of.  She is like Nurse Gladys Emmanuel in Open All Hours.  She is generously proportioned, big boned and broad in the beam.

I resorted to a long handled broom.  This was completely ineffective, I think because no matter how long the lever and how stable the place to stand, there was no way I was moving that fat lump away from illicit food.  So I tipped a jug of water over her.  This broke her concentration long enough for me to chivy her out.

As I locked the door firmly behind Strawberry evil cat wandered down the steps and paused half way, looking a little uncertain.  For anyone who knew evil cat in her prime it was hard as just a few years ago she would have been belting downstairs with murderous intent.  Strawberry would have had a shock as she was relentlessly attacked by something half her size and with twice her aggression.  Now she looks so diffident and confused.  However as she has been confused all her life I suspect that the main problem she was having was lack of momentum.  And I replaced the food.

No comments: