Sunday 3 March 2013

Veg box dilemma

I am getting challenged by the veg box and it is great.

We have wasted some stuff as I had it cooking when OH came in on Friday.  I took one look at his face and we ordered a curry.  Yesterday was a bit thin on meals as no-one felt like much.  Today I used up mushrooms in a nice homemade sauce and carrots, along with half of the potatoes.

So I have to decide what I am going to use next.  I have lots of peppers and onions, normally a signal for a ratatouille.  I have a cauliflower which I would like to use up soon.  There is also a lovely parcel of young leeks.  I also have a butternut squash lurking which has been there for a week or so now.  Then there are the huge carrots and parsnips covered in earth that have only been pulled this week.  It seems a shame not to use their freshness.

So tomorrow is sausages with fried leeks (well, thinly sliced leeks gently softened in olive oil, it tastes great) and carrots and parsnips roasted in the Remoska as a starch.  Tuesday looks like corned beef hash with steamed cauliflower and carrots.  Wednesday is my very poor version of ratatouille while poor darling father who loathes pepper and pasta has one of the ready meals we got from the farm shop.

Thursday we get the new delivery.

I am dithering as ever.  Should I go for the smaller box?  The last one, with loads of onion, pepper, courgette, carrots, parsnips, cauliflower, mushrooms, runner beans, broccoli, potatoes and tomatoes (and probably other stuff I can't remember) would be great if I could just make sure that I used it up in a timely manner.  But I still will have a backlog, especially with the squash.  I think next week  I will go for the smaller box, then the large box the week after, when I've caught up.

I may have overestimated my greengrocery spends.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

Leek and potato soup is a favourite here, and freezes well, too. Maybe you could think about making dishes and freezing them rather than having to discard the veg - leeks won't be available at other times of the year and you might appreciate a quick meal from the freezer some times.

I wouldn't use veg boxes here for a couple of reasons - we are not adventurous about trying new veg, and we also get given quite a lot, so it would be overkill, I think, for us to have one.

I hope you can find a middle way that suits you all. hugs xx

Lesley said...

Squash lasts for quite a while and will sit quite happily on your shelf while you decide what to do with it! We had a veg box for a while, but it wasn't from a local supplier and in the end I couldn't justify the expense. I would do it if I could find a local scheme.