Friday 22 March 2013

Lurgy continues

I feel I am battening down the hatches ready for a long winter.  The snow is falling outside and the wind is bitter.  DH had to come home from work as he has been so poorly.  He managed to get to the doctor so that is another lot of antibiotics.  I am hoping it passes quickly for him.  It really is a horrid virus.

Bear also has the end of the cough.  And of course it is a 'special' cough.  It shows up occasionally during daylight, but bear usually only coughs between 1am and 2am.  He has been coughing at these times all week.  And being a worried mother I have gone up and watched him cough consistently for an hour and sleep through it.  I wish I could.

Evil cat is also under the weather.  I have an interesting challenge with her.  I think the weather is a bit tough on her, she is showing signs of being a bit achy and stiff. The medicine that helps her move and takes away a lot of the aches and pains is squirted onto her food morning and evening.  Unfortunately she isn't eating the wet food.  She will beg shamelessly for scraps from darling father and also for crunchies but she is ignoring the wet food in gravy in her dish - which means she isn't getting the medicine.  She is also very cross as when she tries to sleep across my throat she keeps getting dislodged when I cough.

But we have a warm house, full cupboards and all is calm.  Having neighbours at the back has already made the connecting wall feel less damp and clammy.  We have just had the boiler serviced and he has adjusted the top radiators so that they actually heat up.  I have also learned how to re-pressurise the boiler.  We are well provided with blankets and sweaters and throws.  I just wish it felt less like November and more like March.

3 comments:

Mudgekin said...

I have do give my darling smudge metacalm for her arthritis and I decided this year that I couldn't keep heating on all day and all night so I invested in a lovely heated blanket for her http://www.amazon.co.uk/SAFE-Petnap-Electric-heat-33cm/dp/B00265EVZW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1364019982&sr=1-1

She adores it and I notice that she isn't as creaky. She sleeps on a pillow on the floor just at our bedroom door despite there being less draughty places so the blanket is now under the pillowcase because heaven forbid that madam's routine is disrupted.

ravylesley said...

Sybs I have three asthmatics in the house and so know all about night time coughing.I once asked the Consultant why Asthmatics always seem to have their worst attacks in the early hours and was informed that this is when the bodys metabolism is at its lowest and so its then that infections etc are at their strongest,once we awaken and get ourselves on the go they ease off again.So unfortunately the night time coughing is something we all have to live with.I am assuming you have tried the Vicks rubbed into the soles of the feet and then socks worn during the night?

Lesleyxx

Wannabe Sybil said...

Ravylesley - bear is violently against the 'vicks on feet' cure, but fortunately he wasn't so bad last night. Last night it was DH....

Mudgekin - evil cat sleeps (by choice) in a tiny corner in a gap between two pieces of furniture, right against the radiator with a cushion I strategically wedged there. I may try the pet blanket though for the night time, poor old creaky girl WS xxx