Wednesday 6 March 2013

Equipment Failure

I am trying to make the most of the veg boxes and I have been using a microwave steamer as well as the usual ones.  Last night we had the cauliflower steamed with the corned beef hash.  The cauliflower was lovely, just enough crunch to have a bit of texture but not too soggy.  I am now fully committed to microwave steaming as it is easy on the fuel, quick and a healthy and tasty way to eat.  However I now have a problem with the steamer.

The steamer is supposed to be dishwasher safe.  What that presumably means is that it doesn't harm the dishwasher because it came out a very funny shape.  It is no longer steam tight.  In fact it is no longer really fit for purpose.  I could have cried.  I have ordered something from my friend ebay which is silicone and as such a bit more robust.  I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Also with the veg boxes I have been doing a lot more chopping.  On the one hand I am not particularly skilled, on the other hand I am easily bored with chopping.  So I thought I would invest in a chopper.  I went on my friend ebay and bought a stripped down, pale imitation of a nicer dicer.  The large chopper broke on a slice of parsnip.  I wouldn't mind, it wasn't even tough parsnip.

I tried the smaller chopper last night.  It failed in the face of a slice of onion - not half an onion or a whole onion, just a rather thin slice.  I bitterly mourned the £4 that I had spent on it.  However the times it was used with mushrooms it had been very useful and so I thought I would see if I could get a more robust model.  I looked on the JML website for the original nicer dicer.  It was a good thing I was sitting down when I saw the price, I nearly fell off my chair, and that was with £10 off!

I have decided that for now I will stick to a knife.

No comments: