Wednesday 12 January 2011

Bird food

I have a suspicion why the bird food isn't being attacked by a large local population of small birds like finches and blue tits and sparrows.

One problem is that we are on a corner so there are often people walking past disturbing the birds. I have nowhere to hang them that isn't exposed, so they feel vulnerable, I suppose. I mentioned one magpie enjoying the coconut, that may put them off as well as there is a robust population of magpies and crows around (or possibly rooks - I can't tell). Finally there are two cats next door, both capable hunters so I am always trying to think of ways to feed the birds without feeding the cats. The two dogs constantly playing in next door's yard(nice, well behaved dogs, just playing quietly but being just out of puppyhood dogs) probably don't help either. I shall see if I can hang them somewhere else on the street, so that the dratted things get the benefit.

There are also rats, at least, there are always rat traps at the back of Matalan. Still, at least the traps must be working a little bit as no rats have so far attacked the coconuts.

No comments: