Saturday 22 January 2011

Make do and mend

Written while waiting for little bear to finish 'this' and get ready for bed.

I am going to bite on the bullet tonight and make a draft excluder. Last night really brought home to me how much draft comes in under the door. It is a bit of an odd set up. Our porch does not have double glazing, so is absolutely freezing there, you could keep meat there. The front door leads into the porch which is only two feet across to the inner door. Both are usually kept locked in this weather, to keep the warm in.

The inner door opens opposite the door to the stairs, next to the door to the study and directly into the living room. The armchair where I slept last night is only a few feet away from this door. I did REALLY notice this draft last night, and as darling father usually sits in this chair and feels the cold, I need to do something. It is just a tiny dip in the extremely worn carpet next to the door that lets the cold in from the frozen porch to the double glazed, centrally heated house.

I am quite aware of the need for air exchange, but we have an air brick on every floor except the living room floor and we open and close doors even in this weather, we can stand a draft excluder.

So I am going to fish out the least nice of the nine cot blankets I bought randomly, and just sew the long ends together and then sew the bottom (it may need trimming, I shall see what it looks like and adjust). Then I am going to stuff it with a sweater I plan to unravel. It is a hand knitted sweater that has fallen to so many pulls and bobbles that it has not been fit to wear for some time. I knitted from cheap acrylic years ago, and it doesn't owe a penny. If that fails to fill up the draft excluder then I shall search for other ratty woollens, because unravelled woollens really do make the best stuffing.

Also, while typing this I am not sure whether 'draught' or 'draft' is correct in this context. I don't have the energy to be as bothered as I should.

I am also going to update the 'started/finished' box, to show 'other' as a category. This is not something that should take long, even hand sewing back stitch.

1 comment:

Ian said...

I was going to confidently say it was 'draft' but now I'm not so sure!