Sunday 23 January 2011

Can't believe I did it!

The draft excluder is finished! It took me an evening, and I had been dithering about doing it for ages.

When I came to unravel the sweater I found it hard to make the first cut, as I had knitted it myself and worn it for so long. Once I had done that, however, I found it immensely satisfying. I wasn't unravelling to re-use the wool, as the wool was frankly not worth saving, so I just cut the seams out and unravelled the short lengths. I was ashamed that I had continued to wear it, it was so tatty and the last time I wore it I managed to spill candle wax down it - quite a feat when all I do with candles is light them.

I cut a small, bobbled, blue fleece cot blanket in half and sewed it by hand lengthwise. I just used backstitch, as I have done this before with cushions and as long as the stitches are not too long it is fine. The remaining half I may fold width way and turn into a small cushion for little bear. He has two child sized chairs, and both could use a cushion.

The draft excluder is not a thing of beauty, and neither will be the cushion for little bear, but they will be a practical way of using things that really I cannot use other ways.

I really like making things that are useful for the home. I must try and do it more.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

Well done! I have been looking for a draft excluder as well, but I wasn't going to pay the huge prices that the local shops are asking - these things seem to be a luxury/decorator's item, and I have seen them priced at over £25!! You have saved yourself a fortune and done some excellent recycling as well!

Ian said...

Morgan's right, they are expensive. I just looked at a draught excluder in the shape of a Collie dog (with an extraordinarily long body) and it was £22.

I'm really impressed.