Saturday 29 January 2011

Dishcloth dishcloth

My mind is obsessing about knitted dishcloths at the moment. To be honest, there are worse things that it could obsess about. I do not lust after designer handbags, the cost of my yarn stash would not pay for a designer handbag buckle, but the thought of knitted dishcloths intrigues me.

I can see the plus. If you knit from stuff that you already have or reuse something then you are not spending money or adding to carbon footprints. If you reuse something then you are not adding to the landfill, which is good. Most of the patterns (there are loads of them on Ravelry as well) specify cotton, which is absorbent, renewable, can be washed hot, bleached etc and if a nice knobbly pattern is used can give a nice firm scrub. Some cotton is not ethical but some is, reused is probably the safest bet for green efforts.

I don't really want to buy any more yarn to knit one though, and I don't have any cotton in my stash. I cannot see an eyelash yarn dishcloth being a total success. I certainly don't want to buy dishcloth cotton - how dull! Some of the multicolour dishcloths look quite fun, so that would need coloured cotton.

I am not entirely committed to the whole idea, but I think I shall keep my eye out for ideas. I shall also consider bamboo which may not be as robust as cotton but is probably more sustainable and naturally antibacterial. I am also considering string (which I have in abundance) or even strips of carrier bags for scrubbers.

It won't make the washing up fun, because nothing does, but it could be fun to think about. I have a large stash of washing up sponges to get through before I seriously need to consider it.

No comments: