Wednesday 15 February 2012

Half Term Museum

I have just staggered in from taking little bear to the museum. It was very, very, very busy. Lots of mums have had the same thought - we have to do something and Leeds Museum is free.

Actually Leeds Museum is not only free but scattered with lots of little bits and bobs ideal for the youngsters. Little bear explored them thoroughly and extensively. He had a marvellous time looking at the Egyptian artefacts on tour from the British Museum and trying to grasp how old the things were. I explained that they were older than our house and grandad and evil cat all put together. Little bear looked dubious at that. I didn't see much of anything but hope to have a look later on. I spent most of my time trying to track little bear who didn't so much explore the museum as ricochet.

I then went and got a Leeds Card, which costs £7.50. I only need to go to somewhere like the Tropical House three times and I have my money back. It lasts a year!

Then we popped into the Pound shop as I wanted to see if they had a bundle of biros. Little bear has gone through our stock of pens like Sherman through Georgia, leaving a similar trail of destruction. This weekend included the destruction of the pen he bought his father for Christmas. Of course I didn't stop at the pens. Little bear included some more felt pens (which he definitely doesn't need), some boxes for his Dr Who cards and a write on wipe off book which is a little too young for him. I found a washing basket of a style I have been trying to find for ages. I wanted a small washing basket, with the holes in the sides, not too bulky, for carrying one load of washing in, out and around. I now have one for £1 and I am really pleased as the nearest equivalent was Lakeland. Lakeland's version probably wouldn't cut into my fingers and would undoubtedly be more robust. However the one I was looking at is £10.99. So I am happy with the bargain.

Then it was the trip to the bus stop, and that I think was the most exhausting part. Little bear is full of cold and tired, which means that he is in a world of his own and seriously erratic. It took twenty minutes to get him from the Pound shop to the bus stop, and as Leeds was packed it was a fraught trip of trying to keep little bear close to me while holding two carriers and a laundry basket. As little bear's cruise control was erratic I spent half the time calling him to stop and stay close to me and not run ahead and the other half coaxing him to just keep moving, take another step, that's it... He was humming quietly to himself all the way home, and if he had been a year younger he would be napping by now. Instead he is playing upstairs with his toys.

I am now going to go and knit. I feel just about flattened.

No comments: