Tuesday 28 February 2012

Naughty Nick may rise again

I took little bear into school today and the school ground, which at its best is like the Charge of the Light Brigade just after it reaches the guns, heaved with princesses, ghosts, supermen, and teddy bears. A lot of the costumes had a very tenuous connection with books - I am pretty sure that there are Transformer books, but I suspect that the transformer costumes are based far more on the film and cartoon rather than any comic or sticker book. I saw at least two spidermen, but I am willing to allow comics to come under 'books'. Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore both write 'graphic novels' in an erudite and elegant way. I can't get into them myself, but that doesn't mean that they aren't amazing stories well told.

Going to the Reception class means going up a ramp that overlooks the rest of the playground, and I saw that every child was wearing something on the theme of 'dear heaven I have to send them in a costume, what can I scrape together with eight days notice'. Which means that next year and the year after and the year after that I will be scrabbling around in the same way. Sigh. However, I will be putting it in my diary for the beginning of February, so that even if the school are late in letting me know, I can at least be forewarned.

1 comment:

ravylesley said...

If it makes you feel any better all the schools I have ever heard of have the same policy of leave it to the last possible to release information to parents.I am in the firm belief that its to make us all feel inferior.I have quizzed office staff about this late notification and they say its down to the Teaching staff pfaffing about and not making a quick decision

I have to say it makes my bloody boil but over the years I've learnt to grin and bear it

By the way you think the World Book Day is bad you should try Easter Bonnet and Decorated Egg competitions they are cut-throat and nerve wracking

Lesleyxx