Tuesday 14 February 2012

Meal Time Madness

Little bear was being stubborn, so I said, 'You have to eat at least two before you can have any chocolate.' Little bear protested. 'I want at least two eaten but you can have small ones, quick sticks, down quick as you can.' Little bear did his best impression of taking poison. 'Okay, you can just finish that one, but you must have another forkful of that before you have your chocolate.'

I was negotiating with little bear over his evening meal. Darling father has a knack of producing chocolate and goodies just before mealtimes, which makes things more interesting. Little bear is also developing Views. I personally don't think it worth while trying to force him to eat too much of something he doesn't like as I worry it will 'set' the distaste and mean that he can't eat it as an adult - it took me years to get past the force feeding of carrots at school dinners before I could eat them again as an adult. So I try and work round little bear to get some sort of balance in him.

As for the rejected food, he had just eaten a whole breaded haddock fillet with gusto and enthusiasm, which was why I was so lenient with the other stuff. The other stuff was chips which he was treating as extremely toxic and baked beans, which he was forcing down. He prefers plain pasta and sprouts. While that continues, I think I won't mind so much cooking a separate pan for little bear.

No comments: