Sunday 19 February 2012

Thinking harder about shopping

I was thinking carefully about the Makro offer. £10 is £10, after all. On the other hand it is not long before I need to pay the rest of the holiday, and anything could happen between then and now. Really, I need to start saving like a demon for the next one.

Two things have changed my mind. I don't actually like Velvet loo roll. It is too thick and there is a bend in the toilet waste pipe which makes me nervous of flushing anything too substantial. I actually prefer the Asda own brand smartprice thicker rolls which last for ages and are more than adequate for the purpose intended. The other thing that significantly changed my mind - the car has started missing. Nice Mr Next Door (a professional mechanic who used to have his own garage and is pretty clued up) will deal with it. He thinks it is a petrol filter thingy. I know we will not be overcharged, but I think I would rather hold back on the shopping to save in case the car needs something even more expensive.

I can eke out the washing up liquid for a little longer, and it will be really healthy for me to walk to Makro and really sensible not to carry a big load back. The washing powder will be good for a week or too and, best of all, Asda not only had 7up for £1 per bottle (bought six) but they also had 30 tins of coca cola for £8 (15 tins bogof).

My house is still too full to stock up for the sake of stocking up. However, agreeing with Robyn on the benefits, when it is a little less congested I shall try and think scientifically about stocking up, and doing the research.

No comments: