Wednesday 29 February 2012

Must think before engaging spending

I finally pushed myself to walk to the library. It isn't actually that far, maybe half a mile, and now my joints have been better it is about time that I did a little more.

I walked there without any problem. As I said, it isn't really that far. There is a part time library, mercifully still staffed, and I thought I would pop in. I am not very good at libraries. I like non fiction, in fact, apart from Mills & Boon, I can't remember the last time I read fiction. And the non fiction I like is usually hard core history. But I picked up a book on unusual signs, a book on how to save money (which I seriously do need!) and a book on how to write your memoirs, for darling father. The last one may be an error of judgement.

Then I noticed the book sale. I can't help it, I am drawn to library book sales like a flimsy iron filing to an extremely strong magnet. Resistance is futile. They were marked up at 40p per book.

Five Asterix the Gaul books and a book about deep sea creatures later I staggered home, my shoulder complaining all the way at the books rammed into my shoulder bag. If anyone has not read any of the Asterix the Gaul books, I seriously recommend them. I grew up with them, darling father loves them, OH loves them and little bear will soon be introduced to them. They are a full length book in cartoon strip from with a bunch of Ancient Gauls defying the Roman Empire with such lovely wit and style, my favourite is Asterix in Britain, though Asterix and the Normans comes close, and so does Asterix and the Banquet. The level of excruciating puns and jokes is amazing. Who can resist a character called Vitalstatistix, or Unhygienix the fishmonger? They wear out extremely fast in this house.

As for the book about deep sea creatures, little bear seems to take after me. Once per week the children go to the library and choose a book, their free choice, just to take home and read for pleasure, not to be tested on. I did ask that when he comes to choose a library book that the teacher guides him to fiction. This was after he brought home a large picture dictionary. My objection was that I could read him a story in a night, possibly two, going on the selection in the bookcases available to him. However the dratted Picture Dictionary took several days. So did the Letterland 'find the thingy in the picture' book - that took three nights. Last night he brought home a book about bugs. I kept my 'ewwwwwww' reflex as hidden as possible, but it will take a lot of concerted reading to get through it.

I don't really mind. My little bear is reading, and reading with an interest. That's the important bit.

2 comments:

ravylesley said...

Oh I love the Asterix books and laugh like something possessed at them so enjoy your haul.By the way not sure if LB got one but if he did the £1 voucher for world book day can be traded for one of eight free books at WH Smiths and theres some pretty decent titles this time so it might be worth a look and a free book is always a good thing

Lesleyxx

Wannabe Sybil said...

Lesley - will definitely look.