Monday 20 February 2012

Housewifery, and lack thereof

I watched Superscrimpers tonight. Partly I envied their lovely clean homes - mine would be condemned! And I made some mental notes. However tonight was one where I probably wouldn't use that much.

One of the main headlines was the £50 for romantic break. A couple who had spent over £7000 on romantic breaks and romantic presents in one year were challenged to go away for £50. We don't do romantic breaks, and after last weekend it is a push to be romantic as long as a commercial break. I made a few mental notes, but was interested that they didn't mention vouchers etc. I shall be giving it a lot of thought. One thought I had was that you could buy a new car for £7k.

They also had a masterclass in furniture renovation. We don't fiddle with the furniture, we buy it, or acquire it from friends and relatives, and then just keep it. We wouldn't get rid of something because it was boring and replace with a more fashionable thingy of the same type. I think we put fablon on something once. It was one of those inexpensive bench type units with holes for storage boxes from Argos. We used it in little bear's bedroom and we put the bottle warmer for nights on it and put fablon on to protect the 'wood'. It is now under the window in the living room as storage for little bear's toys. We are probably a bit boring. Darling father is amazing at what he can do, but reupholstering a recliner that has spronged a spring is asking a lot. Especially as I was already considering that he could do with a different chair that was easier for him to get out of. So I look at the sunk seated, stained and worn chair and think that we are just going to replace.

I should add that I am sitting at a desk that we acquired from the office where I used to work. They were completely refitting, and this lovely, sturdy desk that has stood the test of time in this study for fifteen years cost me £2.50 plus inexpensive man with van. At the same time I acquired a pair of four drawer filing cabinets, whose passing I still mourn, at £2.50 each, and a huge metal shelving unit (£2.50) that also went to the Salvation Army.

I think my main concerns are not buying anything unless necessary (with a realistic view of necessary), and being a bit more aware of the costs of home economics - meals, takeaways, unplugging things etc. Tonight's challenge is little bear's shirt - stained with someone else's nosebleed. I am not going to be all old fashioned and Mrs Beeton. I am going to soak it over night in Ariel stain remover and cold water. It's a start.

No comments: