Wednesday 3 June 2009

Another parcel

I think I need to watch my spending. It is a bit worrying for me.

I think the big thing is the parcel from M&S. You see, dear heart's shirts are just about on their last legs (or arms, or collars) and I am struggling to get out some stains. So I decided to get some more. Half a dozen shirts for dear heart and some much needed jeans for me.

The parcel came yesterday. I still haven't opened the parcel.

This is supposed to be a classic sign of compulsive spending. It could also reflect the vast quantity of washing I did on Sunday and Monday and the reluctance to add to the ironing pile with six more shirts. But it is worrying me. I pop online, and pick up the groceries, father's day presents, a few more single sheets, I could do with the shirts... Of course, a lot is categorised under 'little bear' - he got some lovely little slippers, some great pencils, a huge bin bag of clothes and some chunky wooden cars that he hasn't stopped playing with. I couldn't face the shops for these. But I seem to be waiting in every day for parcels.

Most of what I have got has been an absolute bargain, an absolute necessity or something that I have desired for some time. I think what I shall do is make do and mend now for as long as possible. Little bear does not need any clothes, the next birthdays are in August and there is absolutely no need at all for more toys!

So I shall be blogging lots about my spending in the next few weeks, I am sure. Dear heart earns more than enough to support us, but I don't want to get carried away, even if the sums of money involved are comparatively small. All sorts of sums of money are comparatively small compared to MPs' expenses. The Victorians had the idea that the wife was steward of the husband's goods. Perhaps that concept will stop me frittering away so much.

And I have set myself one reward. When I have gone one whole month without spending any money on ebay I can treat myself to some more yarn to knit a blanket. I hope this works.

No comments: