Monday 22 June 2009

I am a proud mother

Little bear (who crashed out around 7.30pm) was very good at nursery. They warned me that a bruise might appear on his arm - this is a relief. I have no idea where most of his bruises come from. I have always assumed that they are part and parcel of him being two and a half and a normal little boy. They let me know that he had had some cream for his nappy rash. I have no idea where the rash came from as I am profligate in changing him, I suspect the muggy weather.

And then she said, 'He knows all his colours, doesn't he?' I was so proud. He knows the main colours (you would get The Look if you asked him to point to Dark Avocado) and he knows the Makaton signs for them as well. He even teases us - showing a brown crayon deliberately when asked for a green one. We knew it was deliberate because he found the green crayon first, put it to one side and then held up the brown crayon! He also knows his numbers and letters - although I suspect he knows the lower case alphabet and is a bit shaky on the upper case.

This knowledge has come from me singing to him, playing with him, Baby TV, Cbeebies and DVDs that he likes to watch. I've always counted steps we went up or down, counted spoonfuls, counted sweeties and counted toes. I've been reading to him on my lap for ages. I just thought that was normal. Now I think about it, I think he is doing really well and I am really proud of him.

I can't take credit for it - of course I have done my best, but he just loves finding out stuff. I can see him working things out sometimes. But now I can see how hungry he is to learn things and how inquisitive and intelligent he is, and I am wondering - what do I do now?

I think I will start with extra cuddles. I am just so proud!

No comments: