Monday 8 June 2009

Stop the shop

Well, the Lakeland parcel has arrived and I haven't opened it. I haven't opened the Marks and Spencer parcel from last week yet either. This is giving me lots of warning signs.

Now, the Lakeland parcel has only arrived within the hour, and I will be diving in soon, but it is a concern if I can leave it like that.

I have made a decision. I am going to start setting targets to help me save money. If I can stay off ebay for 30 days, I get to buy the yarn I need for a blanket. That is target number one. I have just bought some welly boots for little bear from ebay and a mattress protector for my bed, as the only bed that didn't have one. I have placed a small bid on the tops I was dreaming about, representing what I would be willing to pay in a charity shop. If I win the tops I have thirty two days before I can buy the wool.

That strategy is hopefully going to stop me spending on ebay, because I can always find yarn I want to buy. It may also cut down some of the clutter.

The second strategy I am going to use is to set my grocery budget at £100 per week. I can hear gasps of horror at my extravagance at this figure. It covers all food, cleaning stuffs, toiletries, little bear's treats - everything! And everything I save from that goes towards a much needed new washing machine. Theoretically I should be able to save huge amounts.

The third strategy I am going to use is to put aside £20 per week for little bear. That is clothes, toys, shoes and nappies. He does not need, really, any more clothes this summer, and he certainly is not short of toys. I keep hearing darling uncle telling me about toys he has bought for little bear, or darling father has bought toys for little bear. This is far surplus to what he needs, but I am hoping it will build up into a small cushion for when bikes, xboxes and school trips rear their scary heads.

Now all I need to do is find the will power to stick to this.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

I too have succumbed and placed an order from Amazon - but it was all their fault as they sent me an email telling me about a new book by one of my favourite authors, and it was 55% off, so how could I not buy it?!?

Haven't given in to the saucepans, yet!

Morgan
x

Wannabe Sybil said...

Morgan - some things just call to you, it's like the siren song of the Odyssey or the song of that island from South Pacific.

And 55% off - well, it would be rude not to get it.

Perhaps you will get just as lucky with the saucepans.

WS x