Monday 1 June 2009

Little bear has standards

Little bear is remarkably placid. He takes so many things in his stride. His first instinct seems to be to see what is happening. He rarely pauses for bumps, nettle stings, unexpected dogs, first time he sees a horse, first time he sees a steam engine... He sometimes pauses but rarely gets agitated. However sometimes he feels the need to make unhappy feelings very clear.

One thing that will unfailingly upset him is taking off his shoes. A gentleman should wear shoes, he seems to believe, and no exceptions. So the normally calm and friendly little bear bursts into tears when we go to Clarks shoe shop - because he has to take his shoes off to have his feet measured. He has also been absolutely distraught when asked to take off his shoes to be measured by the paediatrician. He was inconsolable. And when it was so warm last weekend and I tried to take his t shirt off to leave him in just a vest, well, you would have thought that his milk ration was being stopped, he was outraged. Dear heart was stunned at the sight of little bear waving a t shirt at me with unmistakable intent - mother, get it put on! This is rather off putting because last summer I encouraged him to just wear a vest, and I was hoping that I could persuade him to do the same when it was hot this summer.

As far as I can see, little bear is concerned about being properly dressed. It is all about things being how they should be. I also think his toes are very ticklish so the shoes are a protection. This morning gave me an interesting conundrum. He was furious, with one slipper on and one slipper off. I took both slippers from him and put on his sandals. This, apparently, was not good enough. He wanted his tiger slippers, thank you so much, and would be obliged if I would replace them. We went to the shop with him in tiger slippers.

No comments: