Wednesday 3 June 2009

Me being political.

I do sometimes more or less in general and by and large follow politics, and I have some understanding of what goes on from my youth involving political arguments within the family that would have left Lenin and Churchill scratching their heads.

For what it is worth, my darling uncle is somewhere to the right of Hitler (in theory, in practice he would help anyone, regardless, but he tries to keep that a secret, he just likes to come out with outrageous things to start a conversation), my darling father reads the Daily Mail, I am somewhere to the baffled left of centre and dear heart is disgusted by the whole thing. Little bear has been heard giving an oration to the teddy party (a da-da-da-da-da) but otherwise has shown no preference.

Even I have managed to notice that there is more politics going on than normal. Now, I am extremely fascinated by history and the current upset about the expenses and the MPs is worse than anything I ever remember reading about. So how on earth do you decide who to vote for?

I strongly believe that you should go along and vote. I feel that people have given up so much in the past that it would be in insult to their memory to not go and vote. People have suffered prison and privation to get our right to vote. I would perfectly understand anyone going along to the ballot and scribbling rude words all over the paper, but they should not give anyone an excuse to limit our right to vote.

Also, the less votes cast, the more chance that someone from the lunatic fringe will be going to Brussels as a representative of Great Britain. How you define lunatic fringe is your choice - I think this time you have a wide variety on the ballot paper! But if you don't vote then those who really freak you out when you see their name on the voting slip have a better chance of getting in.

I will be voting tomorrow, and I will also drag dear heart along as well. I strongly urge anyone who reads this to vote according to their conscience and how they would like the UK to be seen when the new European Parliament assembles.

And this is the end of the Wannabe Sybil Political Broadcast.

No comments: