Wednesday 10 June 2009

Hair raising experience

Six weeks ago I suffered a major lapse of judgement. I have been going to a local hairdressers, approximately ten yards from our house. I have been going on Saturday afternoons, when dear heart is watching little bear. But at my last cut I said, will it be okay to have my little boy with me? That means I can come in when you are quietest and not take up a slot when you are busiest. They said it wouldn't be a problem.

I must have been raving mad. What was I thinking of? Little bear is, on the whole, by and large and in general, a good little boy. He is a placid little boy. The nursery said he was well behaved. Local shops say that they think that he is well behaved (though I suppose they would anyway) because he is not, under any circumstances, allowed to run riot.

I was in the hairdressers one hour and fifteen minutes. That is a long time for a little boy aged two and a half to entertain themselves, especially as he woke up out of sorts. He was working on extra mischief anyway before we even left the house.

I came prepared - a new comic, a finger of fudge, a drink of juice, his favourite toy car and his teddy. It was not enough. He wanted to play with the nail polish, he wanted to play with the hot tongs, scissors, tub of glitter, plugs, perming solution...

Being little bear I didn't have tantrums or destruction. I just had lots and lots of inquisitive mischief. Of course he wanted to take all the rollers out and play with them. And he did put the ones back he managed to get out when I told him to. He didn't complain when I was dragging him (again) away from the nail varnishes. He just went for another target.

It was definitely my fault, I asked just too much from little bear. He didn't break anything, or try and ruin anything, and was good natured throughout, but he was relentless. I can't blame him for any of his behaviour, but I shouldn't have taken him. I shall definitely book when he is at nursery next time.

The staff were very tolerant, but I think I shall have to take flowers.

And while I was out a parcel was delivered - drat!

No comments: