Thursday 25 June 2009

Starting something else

I've finished my blanket - a huge black and blue mound of knitted wool. My sister in law was baffled why I should want to knit this blanket, but I found it immensely therapeutic to knit.

And that's the thing. You see, I haven't measured it. I know that there is 2000g of wool, because that was how much was in the package. Well, I say wool but I wouldn't like to meet the sheep. I haven't folded it away. I haven't even cut off the remaining length. I don't care about finishing things. I only like starting things. I am about 400g into my next blanket.

It probably says something desperately profound about me. But all I can do is look in blank incomprehension when some kind soul says 'think how good it will feel when you finish it'. It will feel nothing. I will lose interest. I have a sweater that I started sewing up nearly 18 months ago. It only needs two seams doing. But then that is finishing off something, which is very dust and ashes compared to starting.

No comments: