Wednesday 3 June 2009

Little bear steps forth

After much contemplation, discussion, recommendation and deliberation, little bear will be starting at a nursery soon. I am a wreck already.

Well, we found a nursery from the local council website, so that is one bit of reassurance. It is registered with Ofsted, so that is another bit of reassurance. I had a look round. The little ones seemed fine, there seemed to be lots of staff, the rooms were stuffed with toys, it seemed very pleasant.

Yesterday I spent an hour there with little bear. I watched as they had a little play. I was impressed at the patience of the staff. The rules were clear, little ones were expected to apologise for being bad, there was no sense that the routine was in any way different because I was there. Then it was sun hats and sun cream for everyone and they all went into the little playground.

Well, they insisted that the little ones took turns with the toys. There were lots and lots of carers. Little bear, without help or prompting, went down the little slide, climbed on things, through things and generally had a marvellous time.

Two incidents made me a little apprehensive. The first was when little bear fell over. Now, on Monday he fell in a shop and I dropped money, purse, bag, everything to pick him up and give him a cuddle. If he is really upset he needs his mum. Yesterday it was just one of those minor bumps that toddlers get. The carers were ready to dash to him, except he picked himself up and hurtled round again. As I have previously mentioned, he didn't cry for his first nettle sting as the world was too interesting, he certainly wasn't going to pause for a minor bump. I hope he doesn't get grumpy being cuddled when he wants to play. Though, truth be told, I would rather that they were more keen to cuddle after a tumble than not keen enough. Also, little bear will pretend to fall over and then fake a cry and rub his head. Some of his dives have been up to Premiership standard. I do hope he doesn't take the carers in too much.

The second incident was a little more alarming. In the corner of the playground is a shed which is locked and is where they keep all the lovely outdoor toys. Of course little bear investigated. The padlock wasn't on because the toys were out, but the carer obligingly showed him the toggle that keeps the door shut. What do they expect to happen? I did warn them, they themselves mentioned that he was 'in to everything'. I also mentioned that dear heart and I have witnessed some very good misdirection and palming on his part. It was quite true, but I don't think they believed me.

Tomorrow I leave him on his own for the first time for two hours. Little bear was so relaxed yesterday that I am confident he will be fine. The carers are lovely, I am sure that they will look after him well. As for me - I will be sitting by the door with my phone in my hand, a complete wreck. Sigh.

4 comments:

Morgan said...

It is heart-wrenching to leave them for the first time - we know he will have a lovely playtime, and make some new friends, but I know how you will feel. It will get easier as you both get used to it, but until then, sending you cyber-hugs to get you through!

Morgan

J's Mummy said...

Big hugs. It's nerve wrecking sending them off isn't it.

Tryingmybest said...

Nobody will ever look after your children as well as you do, but George has been in nursery since he was 9 months old and he's survived.

It's great for developing social skills and making friends.

Wannabe Sybil said...

Thank you for these lovely comments. I need them :(

I know it will be best for little bear, he will flourish, I am sure. It will be brilliant for him. I'm just not sure how I will manage, and it is only two afternoons a week at the moment, so it isn't such a wrench for me.

I shall definitely report on how it goes.

WS