Monday 15 June 2009

My son the fashionista

I bought some welly boots from ebay. They are basic, with blue and green spots on that look just fine. Including postage, they were actually cheaper than the welly boots I had bought previously in a local shop.

I couldn't bring myself to pay extra for 'Bob the Builder' or 'Thomas the Tank Engine'. If he was old enough to make a choice I might, depending on the budget. At his age it seems silly to pay extra for 'names' - I am sure I will feel the pressure soon enough. At the moment he is not dressed by Gap, or dressed by Baby Gucci - he is dressed mainly by ebay plus donations from generous relatives.

I do give him options. I still melt remembering his first proper pair of shoes, for his Christening. We went into Clark's shop, and he was placid and calm as he sat in a basement full of shoes for the first time, after going in a lift for the first time, and we looked at all the little shoes. The nice lady measured his feet and then brought out several pair of shoes. Little bear just looked at them and pointed at one particular pair with firm assurance. That was the pair he got.

I have also stood in Matalan asking him which top he would like. At this point I usually get The Look which says, 'are you mad, woman, like I care - just choose one and I can go home and put my feet up with some juice.'

I have had to hide a fleece top which he decided that he HAD to wear and was crying until it was on. The room temperature was 24 Centigrade. Little bear, it appears, is prepared to suffer for fashion.

This morning, as I went to get him changed and dressed, he greeted me at the safety gate, immaculately turned out in a terry sleep suit and welly boots. And didn't have a camera.

No comments: