Tuesday 5 April 2011

Doggie doings

We will get a dog one day. It is as inevitable as taxes.

OH adores dogs. Little bear adores my darling brother's dog and is a soft touch. Darling father is a doggie person. I am outnumbered. It is me and evil cat against the tide. And if the dog was comfy to sleep on, evil cat would come to an arrangement.

We will end up with a slightly larger dog, sort of labrador size, in theory. Some sort of working dog cross like an alsatian cross. In theory. I know exactly what sort of dog we will get - the one in the dog's home that tugs on our heart strings.

I am holding out for two things. First of all, little bear has to be older. He is still too young to get a pup. I don't agree with little ones being left alone with dogs for a second, it isn't fair to the dog. If we had a dog when little bear was born that would be slightly different, but it would be cruel to get a pup now, and OH really wants a pup and not a mature dog (I'd go for the older dog in a second). The second condition is that I would take the dog to dog training classes so that I can learn how to look after the pup. Another thing I firmly believe is that there are bad dog owners, but not bad dogs (with some exceptions, on the whole, by and large). I want to be a good dog owner.

I know I am going to be a soft touch to any dog, but I am digging my heels in. When the weather is foul it is not going to be me that walks it!

1 comment:

Ian said...

I didn't know you were afraid of dogs! You seem to be okay with Other Brother's dog. Who, although he growled at first when he first met me, immediately became best friends when I offered him a bit of food.

If you do get a dog I'll be so jealous. I used to be very scared of dogs as well. It wasn't really until I got to know a friend's Yorkie that I got more confident with them.

Classes are a VERY good idea.