Monday 4 April 2011

Feeding little bear

Little bear had been off his food when he was poorly a little while ago. Now he has hollow legs! He demolished a big bowl of cereal and two weetabix this morning, and seems to be regularly in immediate danger of starvation. Sigh.

I am still at my wits end with his behaviour. The nursery are also a bit surprised, they say it is out of character. So I am wracking my brains to think of things that have changed. Really it is only darling father here permanently, and he was almost permanent before. I have also been trying to think of anything new he has been eating, and again I can't think of anything. Sigh.

Today's big test was coming home from nursery again. He was on his scooter. There is a really steep slope down from the nursery car park and it goes straight on to a very busy road, usually with cars parked either side. I don't allow little bear to go down it on the scooter. Today he defied me so I calmly told him that there was only one story tonight instead of two. He grumbled but eventually we got home in one piece. It was when he realised that I actually meant it that the fun started.

I am actually surprised that the police were not called. He started off with tears. Then he attempted reason, 'I won't do it again.' Then trying to blag me, 'I've changed my mind, we have two stories.' Then he folded his arms and dramatically turned away and refused to speak. Then he screamed and screamed. Then he was trying to blackmail us by saying he wouldn't be able to sleep with only one story. I said that was fine, he could just stay awake until morning, which I think he didn't expect. And finally he calmed down and he had only one story.

I will see what happens tomorrow on the way home. I am not looking forward to it. I am currently blaming a growth spurt, but we will see. I wouldn't mind, but I follow through on punishments. I don't know why he was surprised.

4 comments:

Hard up Hester said...

Oh poor you Sybil, you are going through some trying times with Little Bear, still now is the time to stick to what you say, we have children at school who's parents are finding that what is cute at 4 is far less cute at 13 & boy can we tell which children are used to getting their own way

Wannabe Sybil said...

That is on my mind - him throwing a cute strop now is one thing. Trying to get him to toe the line at 14 when he is likely to tower over me is another! I think it is easier to tough this lot out than deal with consequences later.

Thank you for the support, it is very welcome. WS x

Morgan said...

I totally second what Hester said. Stick to your guns now and life will be easier when he is older. I've done that bit now and mine are 11 and 14 and that is a good payoff - I just wish I had taught them to tidy up!! Chores are definitely where I slipped up!

Witch Hazel said...

Well done Sybil. It's so much easier to give in, but you are definitely doing the right thing. Stay strong.