Thursday 7 April 2011

Little bear is doing okay

Little bear went to the pediatrician today. They were concerned that he was slow in development, that he was - how do I put this? I don't want to be dismissive or horrible. The powers that be thought that little bear had a below average IQ. Ian has met little bear and will assure anyone that he does not give that impression.

Mind you, he is sucking cold tomato soup through a straw at the moment. He is four, it is nutrition, I don't care. It is one battle I wasn't fighting today, and he has far more soup through a straw than with a spoon.

Regardless of the soup situation, little bear has been signed off from the pediatrician. The doctor did, however, helpfully point out that she thought he was borderline Autistic Spectrum Disorder. Little bear is very good at charming strangers and quite outgoing. He gives very good cuddles.

If little bear does have a below average IQ, or needs more help, or is on the Autistic spectrum, that is fine - I will do all I can. However I don't think he has or is. And today when I watched little bear play happily with some toys while waiting, and watching other parents with their little ones, I was struck by how happy and confident he seemed and also felt - what a waste. Someone who really needed this appointment should have had it.

At least he won't be going back.

1 comment:

Ian said...

This baffles me. In what way is his development not progressing normally? He was slow to learn to speak, but he's certainly not alone in that, and speech ability is not a guide to IQ. Homo erectus could speak!

As for him having a lower than average IQ, this baffles me completely. I thought the people at the nursery said the complete opposite? He's certainly quick to come up with answers to questions. And he does plan what he's doing.

As for the borderline ASD, well, I suppose it's possible. But to be honest the definition is so wide that you could probably identify quite a few "normal" people as showing symptoms!

Well, if they've discharged him, then there's obviously no serious problems I should imagine.