Monday 25 April 2011

Ham Recipes

When I shop online I resist a lot of temptation. The wiles of the supermarket are lessened, although I miss out on the yellow sticker bargains. I also have a better idea of the total cost.

It does have its drawbacks. Take tea yesterday, we had a roast gammon joint. The joint was on offer at £3.99 per kilo instead of £7.99. It was a change, we seemed to have had a lot of beef and chicken recently. So I clicked buy. I didn't actually see the joint in question. If I had I would surely have thought twice. I hope I would have thought twice. The joint in question is @ 3.5kg, or @ 8lb!

So yesterday I roasted it, put the juices in the fridge and put split peas and lentils to soak overnight. Today I will cook pea soup in the slow cooker with the juices, the soup will be frozen until it is soup weather. We had roast ham last night with new potatoes.

Tonight we are having it cold with potatoes cooked in the Remoska and baked beans. We won't have even eaten half of it! So I think the day after it is in a crumble, with condensed chicken soup and plenty of onions and sweetcorn. The rest I think I will stash in the freezer for when we are not sick of it. I just hope I remember to use it out of the freezer.

2 comments:

Witch Hazel said...

hi Sybil - It's a really economical way to buy ham. Before you freeze it, slice some and freeze it in convenient "sandwich sized" portions. Then you can pull out just enough to make sandwiches easily.
H

Wannabe Sybil said...

Hazel - thank you, that is a good plan! WS x