Monday 11 April 2011

Things I should have learned at school

I never understood maths. I got an O level Grade C (showing my age) but I have no idea how I got there and I suspect my teachers don't either.

So, an email came from Ocado. I can have 15% off if I quote this code - minimum spend £60, maximum discount £12.

I can't work out the maximum spend.

Actually, typing this a window opened in my memory and a few chinks of light drifted in. I never really 'got' percentages (or anything much beyond adding and subtracting) but I think I need to divide 12 by 15 then multiply by 100, which means that the maximum spend to benefit from the 15% would be £80 - I think. It sounds more or less right. I don't mind taking Occado on trust, though it is a risk.

Possibly worth while getting some shopping there, not really sure, will think about it.

This lack of numeracy could seriously get in the way of my black belt in shopping.

2 comments:

Ian said...

£12 is 20% of £60.

My maths is exactly same (same school folks, and I think we actually had the same teacher!). Now, I know that 15% of 100 is 15. I think you have to spend £125 to get the £12 off.

Wannabe Sybil said...

Looks at fingers...

10% of £125 is £12.50. So the top of the spend should be less than £125.

Actually, you can spend as much as you like (this is marketing) but the maximum discount is £12, so to shop between the minimum £60 and the cut off point where £12 is 15% of the total I need to find out what £12 is 15% of to get the best deal.

I am ashamed. I can't wait until little bear sighs deeply and tells me that it is really easy. WS x