Sunday 10 April 2011

I shouldn't have done this

OH forgot to lock the window on the top floor. He was dismantling a wardrobe and rather than traipse down two steep and narrow flights of stairs plus the steps outside he threw the bits out of the window.

Poor OH, he forgot to lock the window, didn't realise that little bear would go up to his room without him and that little bear would look out of a wide open window that is thirty or forty feet above solid concrete.

It took both of us to drag him safely away from the window, find the key, lock the window, drag little bear downstairs. Then I got an egg. OH drew a face on it. Then I went upstairs and dropped the egg out of the window to show little bear just how dangerous it was.

Little bear was beside himself. Yes, within fifteen minutes he was fine and he is now having fun with his computer upstairs. But I am not sure I should have shown him something so graphic. On the other hand I am just desperately hoping it will convince him to stay away from open high windows. I think I shall find out from any nightmares tonight if he has recovered. I hate upsetting him.

3 comments:

ravylesley said...

sometimes for the sake of safety you have to be graphic.If the worst case scenario becomes reality LB will have a couple nights of nightmare and would remember the lesson whereas not teaching him could result in his death.I know which I would prefer xx

Witch Hazel said...

I think you did the right thing. Worst case, LB has nightmares for a few days and develops a fear of heights. Honestly not the end of the world. However, he sounds such a determined and adventurous little chappy, that I think explaining on its own probably wouldn't have worked.

Ian said...

What WitchHazel said. I actually thought it was a good way of demonstrating that falling from a good height is not a good thing.

Determined and adventurous does run in the family and LB has it in spades. I think it comes from a great-grandfather who ran off to sea at age 8 because he didn't want to work down the mines.

When Other Brother and I were younger the roof of our house was replaced and scaffolding erected around the whole house including our bedrooms. Guess who sneaked out onto the top level of the scaffolding after late Mother had gone to sleep? We were a few years older than LB though.

Things like that have to be demonstrated graphically, because you don't really realise the danger when you're a kid - you don't know things like that can happen.