Tuesday 5 April 2011

Dogs!

Robyn - I apologise, I have not seen your comment until just now. Sorry.

I am terrified of dogs, and if I am in a bad way I can't even walk past a dog in the street. I have got past a lot of this (and I would never hurt a dog) but I don't want to give little bear the same fear. So I have been toughing it out and letting little bear pet dogs whose owners give permission, and let him stroke the dogs GENTLY. I think learning how to do that will help. Today I am getting an approved food order with dog treats in, some for my brother's dog and some for the dog next door. I have asked Nice Mr Next Door's permission and little bear will be giving their dog (who is a sweetie) some treats himself. I want him to be confident around dogs.

It is just that I was desperate. I tried to explain that bad people could hurt him, but he has been in such a safe environment that I don't think it registers. I was just trying to convince him that sometimes it is good to stay near mum. You make a really good point, and I will try and find something else that may impact him.

Only half joking, I may threaten him with scary cats - evil cat has nailed him a few times in the last few days and he is treating her with a healthy respect.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Yes, I can certainly understand your terror when he ran off! Hopefully the fact that he frightened himself so much when he couldn't find you might teach him a valuable lesson in itself. In fact, if he runs off again at any stage in a more secure environment it might be worth keeping him in sight, whilst keeping out of his view, to see if you can frighten him again to further ram home the "running off isn't only wrong, if you get lost it will be scary" message.

Sounds like you are doing the right thing regarding getting him used to dogs too - as you say you don't want to transfer your fears to him. Maybe you need to start handing out some of those doggie treats yourself too to get over your own phobia?!

Good luck!