Friday 9 December 2011

Christmas Cleanup limps into action

Little bear found my new long fluffy duster, amusingly shaped like a skunk. To stop him painting with it, I showed him what it was actually for by dusting the bathroom lampshade for the first time in living memory. Little bear thought it was marvellous.

He wants to dust now.

Of course, that means that I have to move things for him to dust, try and police where he is climbing to dust and try and stop him dusting anything too fragile for his enthusiasm. He has been barred from coming anywhere near the computer.

I am coughing and spluttering again as I type and I have bribed him with a ten pence mix to stop helping with chores.

On a related note, I put in an Approved Food order. As usual and like peanuts, it is impossible to stop at one, so the second one was delivered the day after. I had forgotten when I put the second in that I had ordered the case of small jif lemons with the first order (for those not familiar, small plastic lemons filled with pasteurised lemon juice). I thought it would be great for cleaning, especially if Operation Christmas Clean actually got going. In fact I thought it would be a great idea for Operation Christmas Clean both times I placed the order. I have forty eight small lemons filled with pasteurised lemon juice.

I am going to look up alternate uses for lemons. Mrs Beeton considered them a cure for freckles. She didn't clean mirrors with them, she preferred to use gin with an old silk handkerchief. The way alcohol seems to be flowing into this house, I think gin might be the more likely option - but an old silk handkerchief? I'll probably stick to microfibre.

ETA Little bear has quickly gone back to normal and is now trying to see how many pompoms he can fit into the weeble castle he grew out of a few years ago but we can't get rid of.

No comments: