Sunday 11 December 2011

Darling Father

I don't need to make things up.

Darling father bought tickets for us all to go to a brass band concert at the Methodists and then told us. It's not the first time he has done this sort of thing, and I wish he wouldn't. Regardless, little bear and I accompanied darling father, but OH had bravely taken little bear to the birthday party earlier by himself, as I had had a bad night, and then had not grumped at me for getting them there an hour early. However he needed some time to himself.

I honestly am not making this up. Darling father wore a false moustache to the concert. I hadn't seen him in it before, and I didn't know what to say. It is grey and comparatively realistic, but it is a false moustache. It made him look a bit like a greying Captain Mainwaring, or a grey Poirot - distinguished but odd! When we got to the Methodist Chapel you could barely move for dropped jaws. I don't think darling father is going senile, but he is having a very strenuous attack on eccentric. Even the Minister was a bit stuck for words.

The concert was quite good. Some of it was excellent, like the Vivaldi. Some of it was not so good, but as I had an overall good time I am not going to use any of the quite witty but also quite cruel quips that I thought of during the performance. The conductor was also pushing heavily on eccentric. He actually put a scarf and gloves ON when they played 'The Stripper' and waggled the gloves and ends of the scarf. His hat during the second half was a chimney with Santa Claus legs sticking out. And he came in as Britannia at the first part of the second half - he bowed to little bear who bowed back. He did look seriously eccentric in a blond wig, Roman Helment, bedsheets and Union Jack robe and a shield with fairy lights on the outside. I think little bear thought this normal for a brass band concert.

Little bear had not been exposed to much brass band music, and was a little wary. He also was tired (I think, given how much he is eating and how much he seems to be growing, that he is having a growth spurt), and he nearly fell asleep on me during an early rousing rendition of Hark the Herald Angels.

He perked up with the prizes. The conductor gave out tiny bags of Haribo sweets to the audience for rewards for eg right answers. Little bear got his first bag when a neighbouring gentleman donated his prize for knowing the year the Salvation Army was founded to him. He got his second bag when I correctly named the ruler of England at the year of Vivaldi's death (fluke - the date was 1741, so George II). Little bear then got his third bag as there were less than half a dozen children in the audience and they all got a bag for sitting nicely. Then he got his fourth and final bag for shaking a tambourine during Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

And little bear and darling father worked the room in the interval. Darling father is already on 'cheeky chappie' terms with most of the ladies, and snooker/golf playing terms with the men. When you add in the shock effect of a fake moustache and the gorgeous and apparently irresistible smile of little bear, they had a wonderful time. I just sat and ate my mince pie. Lots of people complimented me on how well little bear behaved, but I was reserving judgement slightly as I think he was too tired to get up to a lot, and besides he was practicing his charm and angling for sweeties.

I can't wait for the rest of the week.

1 comment:

Ian said...

The brass band sounds like a hoot. But a false moustache? Ye gods and little fishes. If he wants a moustache, why doesn't he just grow one like the rest of us?