Sunday 11 September 2011

Already?

My sister in law has bought little bear a Doctor Who advent calendar.

It is the beginning of September! What is anyone doing buying advent calendars in September? What is anyone doing selling advent calendars in September? What happened to seasonal?

Also, not entirely convinced about advent calendars, especially as many of them are 31 days now. I mean, if they are going to be 31 days why not call them New Year's Calendars? Mind you, I am sure I will find some somewhere.

Advent, btw, is an old season of the Church, like Lent. In the middle ages it was a time of fasting and, if you wanted to be old-lady-in-hat-style there should be no flowers in Church and you shouldn't eat meat, especially not on Christmas Eve. Now it seems a time of stress and frantically trying to fit everything in, the penance of dashing round crammed shops and hoping you haven't forgotten the turkey (I did forget the meat one year, but we didn't notice until afterwards).

I may try and go back to that idea, the fast before Christmas. I can imagine a time of abstinence would make the feast that followed so much more welcome, and won't hurt any in our household.

AND IT IS STILL TOO EARLY TO BE THINKING OF IT!

1 comment:

ravylesley said...

Oh Sybs welcome to the world of the grumpy old woman lol.I've been griping about how things used to be when I was a child for years so its nice to have some company lol

Lesleyxx