Thursday 29 September 2011

School and decisions

I am going to be so glad when I get over myself and get past the 'new first child at school' phase.

Tomorrow is little bear's harvest festival. The note said that it was at 10.30 at a particular church, friends and family are welcome to attend. I bought a bag of pasta and didn't plan to attend.

Then I started thinking, and I really shouldn't. First of all, why are they having a harvest festival in a Church a few hundred yards up the road? It is not a church school, as far as I can see they have a range of faiths, mainly of the CBA (Can't Be Bothered) persuasion. I am sure there are a few pagans around here as well as the more well known non-Christian faiths, and it isn't very welcoming to them. Why don't they have it in the School Hall? Realistically, if it is the whole school then they won't all fit, I think, but I know the Church in question, and the whole school wouldn't fit in there either, let alone friends/family.

And if they are going to have it in a Church, why don't they have it on a Sunday? Not all children could be there, but I am sure enough would turn out to take up samples of gifts collected during the week. Though I don't blame a teacher for not wanting to give up free time, so perhaps not.

Or they could go to St Georges in Leeds, where the charity who is getting the donations (St Georges Crypt, a fantastic charity) as a school trip (I would be grumbling about the cost, I am a hypocrite) and also look at the Church architecture.

And should I really go? I don't want to speak ill of the people at that Church, as the people individually are actually really nice, lovely people and you would want to be hugged by them. They just don't, as a church, do much God. Or they didn't, they might now. I'm not sure. But I am unenthusiastic about the Church itself. And all the fuss surrounding the Harvest Festival, and whether it is inclusive.

But the Head Teacher does note who is there and who isn't, in a scary way. If one of little bear's parents are always there then it does look better for him and they know that he is supported in learning. If I am not there, it will be noted. I feel for all the working parents on this as there is also a meeting tomorrow afternoon which parents are expected to attend to find out how our children are going to be taught to read. I think attendance on that will be much more closely monitored.

Biggest point - will little bear feel let down if I am not there but other mums and dads are? I am not sure. He might. Or he may be distracted. Actually he may not notice.

I'm going to have to go. Darn.

4 comments:

ravylesley said...

Sybs these are precious moments that you need to share so get your backside down to the church and enjoy because before you realize it LB will be fully grown and you will have missed out on what are very precious memories

Lesleyxx

Wannabe Sybil said...

You are absolutely right! WS x

Morgan said...

I agree - I'd go to the first one at least! You want to know what you might be missing in years to come...and there might be a Christmas service/nativity as well in December.

Ian said...

And yes, children do notice if parents aren't there, even if, when they're teenagers and complain bitterly about you being there, they're still pleased when you are.

I may not be a parent, but I've been a teenager, and I've seen the difference on the faces of friends' children when they're there.