Wednesday 7 September 2011

Confused fruit flies

We have confused fruit flies. Confusion is pretty normal here, but the confused fruit flies are new to me. I have no idea where they are coming from. The kitchen would not look out of place on a horror documentary about clutter (too much) and cleaning (not enough) but there doesn't seem to be anything the flies could have come from. They appeared after we returned from the farmers market, so I may have brought them in with me, but we cooked the fish and the kale the same day and the potatoes don't look as if they have flies.

The flies did hover around the sink for a while, but are currently mostly sitting sadly around the rim of an old yogurt pot. They were flying around and looking completely lost, with a small congregation around the (actually pretty clean) neck of a ketchup bottle (memo to self - sterilise before next use) so I took pity on them and put down a small yogurt carton with a mixture of fruit juice and vinegar in the bottom. They seem to find it homely. And it keeps them away from anything else. Plug in fly killer and citronella are in force as we speak, so hopefully it is only a short time before they go to their fruit-juice-and-vinegar grave.

So I don't know where they have come from. They don't seem to know where they have come from. And they don't really seem to want to investigate anything around that may of interest to fruit flies so don't really know where they are going.

I think the PMT is affecting my sanity.

No comments: