Tuesday 27 September 2011

New Asda

A new Asda has opened up near us. It used to be Nettos, so I can bypass any grumpy 'and what will happen to the local shops and community?', although a proper butchers has moved out. The florist and Greggs are still there.

Another handy hint - never go to the opening of a 'new' supermarket on the first day unless you get a free tv or equivalent. It was full. It was incredibly full. We got there half an hour after the shop opened and there wasn't a spare basket or trolley to be had. Darling father got the basket out of the hands of someone unloading onto the tills.

It is still a small place, not huge like a superstore. I would say slightly larger than the little Tesco shops that have sprung up, but with so much more variety. I was looking round like a child in a sweet shop. There were so many options, fresh meat or all types, fresh veggies - it was heaven!

We had a little browse, but we couldn't really see everything because it was FULL. But there was such a lovely selection of stuff, I was so tempted. Fortunately enough sanity prevailed so that after half an hour of queuing (okay, not quite, maybe twenty five minutes) we only put through the till the stuff we could realistically carry.

This actually could be a bit of a lifeline for me. It is not too far to walk there, but far enough and over a steep enough slope to get a bit of cardio exercise. It carries a good range of stuff, with lots of fruit and veg. Also pudding rice, but I am using up the Arborio first as I am sick of seeing it. I don't want to do risotto. I can trust the meat and frozen stuff much more than I could at Nettos, which always looked a bit slapdash to me. And if I shop in small amounts, just what I need, then I could save money.

Actually, I am more likely to give in to impulse buys when shopping in person, and shopping on line has saved me a fortune! But if I set myself a budget per trip... Or learn self discipline... And I will be getting exercise, so that has to be a good thing.

2 comments:

Witch Hazel said...

Hi Sybil, Any particular reason you don't want to do risotto? Delia has an excellent recipe for one which is baked in the oven so no faffing about stirring in a ladle full of stock at a time. I love it and usually add the last pickings of roast chicken to it, before making stock out of the bones.
Hx

Wannabe Sybil said...

Ladle full of stock at a time is the exact reason, because little bear gets very upset if I am doing something for more than five minutes without him (unless he doesn't realise). However I shall check out the Delia. I really like her recipes, so thank you for the tip! WX