Thursday 8 September 2011

Little bear prompts

Little bear has been reading the bed time story to me for the last few days, at his insistence. Well, not actually reading reading. He manages quite a few words, guesses quite a few more, and lets me take over when he gets distracted. Today he was doing really well apart from consistently reading 'had' instead of 'has'. It's his teacher's problem on Monday.

I have been being very lavish with praise, because it is something really good. I have encouraged him, as have darling father and OH, but I have not sat him down and forced him to read. The drive has come from him (and when it is late and he wants to 'read' the entire 63 pages of Cat in the Hat I am tempted to actively discourage him, but I don't). But I have been praising him. I think he is doing really well (biased mum view). But I missed one page. He had gone through three sentences and I had moved my finger to the next page without the usual well done. I got a timely reminder. Little bear paused thoughtfully and then there was a quiet but firm, 'well done' from him before he started the next page.

I am keeping up the praise for him. It is easier.

No comments: