Friday 23 September 2011

Rice pudding fail

Last night I made rice pudding. It was not successful. I have just chipped the last of it out of the slow cooker.

I shouldn't have used Arborio rice instead of pudding rice. I shouldn't have put in sugar when it didn't ask for it, especially not sticky brown sugar. And I did look at the level of the liquid and think it was a bit inadequate.

Tonight is attempt two at rice pudding. I am still on the Arborio rice, as it is all I have in, but I am sure I can work something else out. I am about to go raiding the internet for recipes. Ones that do not need power tools to get the pudding out of the cooking dish.

3 comments:

Robyn said...

Leave the arborio rice for risotto's, which is what it is good at. You wouldn't ask Linford Christie to row you round the lake would you? Nope, you'd ask Steve Redgrave....same thing with rice. Arborio is also expensive to waste on stuff that it won't do well.

Simple rice pudding recipe - 50g pudding rice, 550ml milk, 25g sugar

butter an ovenproof dish, tip in the rice and sugar, add the milk, stir together and top with a little ground nutmeg or cinammon if you like. Shove it in the oven at 160 deg C or gas 3 - go away and leave it for 2 - 3 hours, by which time it should be cooked.

Witch Hazel said...

Arborio rice can be used for puddings, lots of recipes on line. Here's an example
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/food/recipe244.shtml

Ian said...

Gran's rice pudding used to be delicious.

Exact quantities for her recipes are a mystery because she rarely measured. But as far as I can tell, it was (for 4 people)

A bag of pudding rice (it usually has a recipe on the side).
Pint of full fat milk.
Tub of cream (not sure on single or double).
Lots of white sugar.
All mixed in a deep, buttered oven dish.
Lots of lumps of butter dotted over the surface.
Best part of a jar of nutmeg and cinnamon.

No idea how long she baked it for, but it came out very thick and sticky and golden brown on the top.

Full disclosure: I have never, ever been able to reproduce her results.