Wednesday 28 September 2011

Off to Asda

Today will be my first challenge of walking to Asda, buying just what I need, and walking back. It's the buying just what I need that is the hard part. The walk will be tiring for me, I am grossly out of condition, but resisting temptation will be far harder.

So, I need fruit to have with custard for dessert (currently thinking bananas but happy to be inspired - trying to get nutrition in little bear), and a few tins for darling father and his Harvest Festival. I already have my contribution to little bear's Harvest Festival - a bag of pasta. It is going to a homeless shelter, where they also support people who need help (St Georges Crypt, Leeds, a fantastic charity that I think is really worth supporting). I don't know what to give these days, once it was raiding the veg rack, now it is stick closely to a list, except we haven't been given a list but examples. Still, I hope little bear doesn't feel let down by my Asda own brand (but not smartprice) fusilli. We are eating quite posh tricolour pasta twists from Approved Food, which are very acceptable but past its best before date. Darling father has suggested a few tins of peas.

It is a whole new brand of etiquette for me - how to get stuff for little bear's 'voluntary' donations that doesn't let him down. I can be comfortable saying 'no' to designer school wear, but I can feel the 'donations to the tombola' question looming. I have absolutely no idea about what sort of level to aim at, I haven't been involved with a school for nearly thirty years. If I bring in Smartprice, would it make little bear suffer? Personally I doubt it, and I am not buying extra fancy. I am sure it will be fine for now, I think I have a few years before the 'Muuuuuuuum, I can't take that, I would just totally embarrassed, it's not fair, my mate's mum is really cool and she would never send that...' hits. If I get it right now it may never happen. I shall keep working on that one!

Now all I need to find out is whether I take in cash or cheque for the (smallish) donation to the charity for the school. And purchase a school book bag.

And I definitely need to find a substitute for the handwash.

No comments: