Thursday 29 September 2011

Reading Report

Hopefully not many more of these 'firsts' to go, and the first Parents Evening is 20 Oct, so fingers crossed I will be sane by then.

We all trooped in to the blessedly cool hall, and there was a display of what they were using. They are using Jolly Phonics (Thank you, Ian, for buying all that stuff for little bear, as usual thanks to his family he has a head start!). This means that each letter or pair-of-lettter sounds has an action as well as a sound. The Head Teacher encouraged the parents to join in and told off the front row (which included me) for lack of effort. There were some little ones from Year One who were demonstrating. The Head Teacher was very careful to look out for them, and insisted on a clap for them at the end for their effort, but she is quite stern with the parents.

So I have come home with leaflets (including a list of merchandise that can be purchased) and I am now bewildered at having had huge quantities of information about homework and reading books and library books and dots and books with single large letters but no pictures and what will happen when, and I can say I have absolutely no confidence in remembering anything.

Little bear is very hot and bothered, he is sitting down with a lolly ice and looking very tired. I shall take this lull and see what I can make of the leaflets. These also include a reminder about the dratted Christmas cards.

1 comment:

Ian said...

You're welcome for the Jolly Phonics stuff. I'm glad he has a head start. We're all happy to make sure LB has what he needs, and a lot that he doesn't but make his life a lot more fun.

You taught me to read and write before I started school, so I'm sure LB is in very capable hands lol.