Friday 30 September 2011

I Hate Handbags

I am missing something somewhere. I have no call to handbags, no interest. When I hear that my husband's niece managed to get a handbag for £300 in the Harvey Nichols sale, first of all I don't recognise the name of the handbag and then I think - HOW much?! A handbag is to put things in.

I want a boring handbag that I just put things in, with a strap. I wouldn't mind a Tardis handbag, one where I can fit absolutely everything I can ever need in a small bag the size of evil cat. These seem a bit rare. I want something that is quite plain so it goes with everything. Most of all, I don't want to pay a fortune. I started hoping to pick something up for @ £10, but my hopes have been dwindling.

I have had to look for one as the current one is disintegrated. Bits of lining and cardboard stiffener (bought cheap last time) are shedding every time I rummage through the current one, though I keep wondering if I just cut the lining and inner out then perhaps it will do just as well.

However I have put a minimal bid in on a bag on my friend ebay. The thing that attracted was the bright red lining. I am not really a fan of red, but I have always had black handbags with black linings and on a dark morning when you are trying to find your keys it is a horror fishing in the gloom past the lumps and bumps. I switched from a basic black purse years ago to help me find it in the shadows of an overstuffed black bag. The one on ebay is still a boring black outside as well, so it is great for me, especially if I get it at the price I bid. Okay, deep down I might go for weird, punk and wonderful, but I am a middle aged SAHM and I have to be realistic.

Even if I don't get it, I am a little bit cheered up, because at least I now know that it is worth looking out for handbags with bright linings.

No comments: