Saturday 3 September 2011

Fighting the Clutter Monster

Anyone who suffers from hoarding instincts or clutter monsters will recognise this, I am sure.

I have a pair of jeans where the seam has split all the way down one thigh, the material next to the seam has gone and I lack the skills or inclination to repair. But deep inside me there is a huge impulse to Make Something Useful Out Of Them. There is also the 'Do Not Waste' and 'Do Not Contribute To Throwaway Society'.

Now, if I cut the legs off and cut the seam along the length, then folded them ankle to thigh and re-sewed them, I could stuff them and have them as cushions, they'd look great. In fact I could get three cushions from a pair of jeans, two from the legs and one from the seat.

1. I have a zillion projects like this around already, none of them have been done, and I have already committed to ironing on red patches to the knees of little bear's jeans. When exactly am I going to do this?

2. When you see these things on the tv, there are always the cute little transfers or stick ons or pretty buttons that add to the cuteness of the cushion. I don't have a store of these, I don't want to acquire a store of these things, I want less things in my house. And unless I fell lucky in a charity shop or on ebay (my friend), the notions would cost more than a cushion from Matalan.

3. I have a wodge of cushion covers - nice, soft and nearly new cushion covers - waiting to be stuffed with unravelled woollies when I next get a chance. I don't need to add to them, and currently we have more or less enough cushions. I would like more, but I have the cushion covers ready to be stuffed 'when I get round to it'. This brings me back to point 1!

So I will wash the jeans through and give them to Nice Mr Next Door for rags for his mechanicking.

No comments: