Friday 2 September 2011

Tea tonight

On my other blog I am looking at all the amazing recipes and ideas and feeling a little overwhelmed. My cookery is the 'what's instant, easy and cheap' type. I am not a good cook, I am not an inventive cook and I have too many takeaways.

However, in the interests of giving an insight into my culinary repertoire, this is what I am having for tea tonight

Beefaroni - Brown 'some' mince (between 250g and 500g is about right) and drain. Add an undiluted tin of condensed tomato soup. Season generously with worcestershire sauce and italian herbs with plenty of basil. Stir in a huge pan full of cooked, drained macaroni, I usually guess around a handful and a half of dried macaroni per person, but it depends on how hungry everyone is.

It is lovely and flexible, because the amounts can go up and down, and I think that one can of tomato soup could perhaps even stretch to a kilo of mince. You can flavour it more or less, depending what you have in the spice cupboard. It has protein, carbohydrate, fats and the veg traces in the tomato soup. If you use lean mince and drain it, you have a relatively low fat meal. Also, it is cheap, tasty and incredibly filling. 500g of mince, with plenty of pasta stirred in, will easily serve six adults. I suppose you can have garlic bread and salad with it, or follow it with a fruit salad and cream. It is also incredibly quick to do.

I got the recipe from an American friend around 20 years ago, and I have thanked her every since.

No comments: