Friday 16 September 2011

Clamping

After dropping little bear off at School (Day Four, still happy), I came back to find someone in a hired car and a DVLA sweatshirt taking 'surreptitious' photos of the number plates in the street with their phone.

Someone has complained about nice Mr Next Door, I suppose, and so the DVLA have trotted round and found two cars to clamp. There are at least half a dozen others that apparently were not clampable.

I find it really depressing that someone has gone to the trouble of complaining. Our little street is off the beaten track. Apart from the police occasionally being called to the family a few doors down, there is nothing here. It isn't on the way to somewhere, it isn't even a made road, just a dirt track, so it looks to me (though I don't really know what I am talking about here) that someone has insisted that the DVLA Have A Look.

It isn't always convenient to have up to a dozen cars in various stages of repair being lined up outside the four houses. But we have a man next door who works all the hours sent to provide for his family, doesn't get benefits, is on his back in the street in all weathers working on his cars, is kindness itself, having his way of earning food for his family and the roof over their head being undermined. It just seems so wrong to me.

No comments: