Friday 29 July 2011

Clothes

A clothing catalogue came today. I practically never buy clothes, and when I do I usually go for durability. However this catalogue is for clothes for the larger lady, the fuller figure etc and it is the only place to get the bras I like. I reluctantly got the catalogue to have access to the underwear.

I started leafing through it casually, noting that this looks nice, that's a nice colour, that's HOW MUCH! etc when darling father started looking over my shoulder and making suggestions.

I have a problematic figure. First of all I am grossly over weight, so I am not going to look like Kate Moss no matter what I wear. Then there is the problem of my bust. It is large, full and embarrassing. Other ladies with different temperaments could well enjoy it. I don't, and go for high necked outfits for a reason. So with a low and hefty bust and a high waist, it is separates only for me.

Then I have quite well defined tastes. I like plain and not patterned, long smooth lines (hides a multitude of sins) and despite my age I am keen on the slightly punk side of fashion. I don't wear punk or goth, obviously, I would look ridiculous. But I don't do pink.

Darling father has views as well. Nice, brightly patterned dresses with lots of flounces and low necks. Lots of frills. Lots and lots of patterns, and wide skirts, with bright and contrasting patterns. With extra frills. Basically, darling father's fashion sense has stuck in 1950. He wasn't that old then, but that is where it is stuck. He thinks that tartan is cutting edge. He pointed out some 'nice' clothes. They are actually nice, just something I have never, ever worn. He has known me for over forty years, he saw me in New Romantic get ups and some seriously extreme make up. I do not do flouncy skirts with big pink flowers.

He meant well. And he won't really grumble (at least to me) when I stick to the 'basic black, no frills, smooth lined trouser suit' type stuff.

One thing that worried me slightly. He said that the local ladies all wore long dresses. The local ladies at the Methodist Church whose average age is double mine wear long dresses. My contemporaries wear leggings, crop tops and quite often pyjamas to the shops. Please let darling father not see anything on sale that he thinks I would like, please!

1 comment:

ravylesley said...

Back in the 80's I think I had my hair every colour of the rainbow and my poor father despaired whenever he had to be seen out of the house with me lol.Nowadays my DH insists of feminine clothing when I'd much prefer to be in Dr Martens and skintight jeans so know how you feel.I have wardrobes full of frilly,flowery monstrosities that my DH has bought me and I feel obliged to wear

Lesleyxx