Tuesday 5 July 2011

Soap powder

Lesley - Food I am trying to resist from Approved Food. It's the Tyrell parsnip, carrot and beetroot crisps at 4 for £1 - I mean, you can't even get empty packets of these at the shops for that price. And Tyrells don't sell to supermarkets, only smaller shops, so you don't get any of the 'prices slashed' that eg Tesco do.

I bought some Ariel Stain Removal powder from there. I have been using the basics stuff, but it hasn't really been doing the job. I recently had a bit of a lightbulb moment and realised that I could get expensive powder and still use white vinegar as a softener, instead of needing expensive fabric conditioner as I don't really like the smell of fabric conditioners, also I like perfume and I like to smell of my perfume and not mango and metallic softener or whatever the latest whiff is. And I was thinking about going back to Ariel. My grandmother always used Ariel, would never consider anything else! My grandfather did lots of things with cycling and she had her work cut out with the washing and she would never budge from Ariel. And I really like the smell of the Ariel stain remover.

But Ariel is so expensive, perhaps the most expensive main brand, and surely the other brands can't be that different? I am still dithering about that. My grandmother passed away in 1987, so I think detergents have changed since then. Normally I am a complete brand harlot, depending what is on offer and what is inexpensive. I have had good results with Bold, but I prefer to have no scents. I may get some small packs of all the main brands and have a go of all of them. If I do this, I will let you know my opinion. It will be completely non scientific and subjective, but it will be honest.

I could try making my own detergent. However, at the moment I am having problems keeping up with making my own evening meals and not going for a takeaway, so I will put that on hold.

The parsnip crisps are really calling to me.

No comments: